Monday 12 July 2010

Visitors

There's something about visitors to the boat that reveals so very much. Who our real friends are, as in the people who really 'get' us, and how our own insecurities are only a niggle or a scratch away. It's made me curious about how our own security or happiness can be rocked by the opinions of others. This is very mood-dependant, of course, but there are ups and downs to our new life.

My mum and dad, bless them, loved the boat when they visited. Any concerns they harboured from the initial conversations (my dad did express a few at the time!) were masterfully hidden and they got stuck in with gusto, bringing champagne and nibbles, showering our little home with enthusiastic praise. R's mum was also vocal, but her fear of anything that does not fit the status quo came raining down on our little place like hailstones.

One friend stepped on board and spent ten minutes saying 'oh my god, oh my god, oh my god,' and not in a delighted way, in a what-the-fuck-have-you-done way. But later she sent me a heartfelt email about how we had followed our hearts. Another friend was so excited he didn't know what do with himself... Two of our dearest friends sent us a message saying 'what a beautiful and typically you-two-ful thing to do - we're so proud of you.'

Two friends came down from London yesterday and they were both quiet as if they were afraid to open their mouths in case of what they might say. The boat is small, our living space is minimal. There are plenty of opportunities to hit your head VERY hard and, if you're in a hurry, scalp yourself (I did this a few times in the early weeks). And yet, it is cosy and filled with love. Yes, we sleep with our heads side by side on the pillow, yes, we bump into each other a bit. But we have always loved being near each other. We love hanging out together.

After our friends had gone, we both felt our convictions rocked a little. Though we're both certain we've never wanted a stressy, sweaty, angry, cramped London life, our choice to leave an expanse of lush greenery and a country cottage for a boat sometimes still makes us question ourselves. It feels so good when someone visits and looks us in the eyes and says 'I think it's amazing' or 'I love the way you two always do something completely different'. Sometimes friends speak to your soul, they connect with you in a way that honours both your similarities and your differences. Though they might not choose the life you have chosen, they see the beauty in your choices. They respect and love you for who you are. Like all the big challenges and changes in life, it is special to discover who is really listening to you, who really loves you for WHO YOU ARE. I feel so blessed to have my friends that I can share this adventure with.

My brother is coming down this afternoon (shame about the weather!) to visit the boat for the first time. I am lucky enough to call both my siblings my best friends; they support, love and listen to me and I am soooo excited to show my bro the boat! I know he will 'get' it and us.

It has felt like we're on holiday with this gorgeous weather - cycling along the seafront together, watching the tide come in and the seabirds circling, having fish and chips on the beach as the sun goes down....magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment